Main Office: (515) 727-1860
Fax: (515) 727-1861
- Until it Hurts -- Mark Hyman
- Mental Toughness and Training for Sport – James Loeher
- Fit or Fat Covert – Bailey
- From the Bleachers with Love – Selleck and Epperson
- How to Raise a Good Sport – Selleck
- How to Play the Game of your Life - Selleck
- Mindset – Carol Dweck
- The Talent Code – Dan Coyle
- Vision of a Champion – Anson Dorrance
- The Last Lecture – Randy Pausch
- Games Girls Play – Caroline Silby
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and its partners have developed the FREE Heads Up: Concussion in Youth Sports online training for coaches that can help them:
- Recognize a possible concussion
- Better understand what to do if they suspect an athlete has a concussion
- Learn how to help prevent or prepare for concussions
Coaches can be prepared for the new season in less than 30 minutes by simply going online and taking the self-guided training. For more information, see this brochure:
Keep Our Kids Safe
This is a series of video to think about as your kids participate in activities during the year. As part of the USOC SafeSports initiative we think these video can be very helpful.
We encourage you to watch these videos and share them with others. As Harold says, "The safety and success of our kids depends on each of us!"
The series includes:
- Introduction: An Overview of Kidpower's 7 Strategies for Keeping Your Child Safe
Strategy #1: Put Safety First
- How to make an ongoing practice of putting safety first and using Kidpower's Underlying Principle: "The safety and healthy self-esteem of a child are more important than anyone's embarrassment, inconvenience, or offense."
Strategy #2: Keep Your Radar On
- How to recognize potential danger so we can take action quickly.
Strategy #3: LISTEN to Your Children and Teach Them NOT to Keep Unsafe Secrets
- How to prepare your children to tell you and not to keep problems a secret.
Strategy #4: Make SURE Kids Know You Care
- Discusses the importance of children hearing regularly from every adult in their lives that, if they have a safety problem, we want to know! We are now calling this the Kidpower Protection Promise - and will have a free poster that people can download available very soon.
Strategy #5: Don't Let Kids Throw Stones
- How to intervene when children are acting unsafely in a powerful and respectful way.
Strategy #6: Assess Your Child and Make Safety Plans
- How to make safety plans and rules that are appropriate to each child's age, development, abilities, and life situation.
Strategy #7: Prepare Children to Take Charge of Their Own Safety by Practicing Skills
- How to rehearse personal safety skills with children in ways that are fun, successful, and relevant for their specific situations.
Summary & Review of Kidpower's 7 Strategies for Keeping Your Child Safe
- A review of the strategies described in the series and next steps in keeping our children safe and successful!